The longlist of books in contention for this year's Man Booker Prize has been announced in the UK.
Among the books longlisted for the £50,000 prize in 2012 are four debut novels and Bring Up The Bodies - Hilary Mantel's sequel to the novel that won the Booker in 2009.
The Booker prize aims to recognise the 'best novel of the year written by a citizen of the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland'. The 2012 shortlist will be announced on September 11 and the eventual winner on October 16.
Here is the full longlist:
- Skios by Michael Frayn
- Philida by André Brink
- Narcopolis by Jeet Thayil
- The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman
- The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
- Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel
- The Yips by Nicola Barker
- Communion Town by Sam Thompson
- Umbrella by Will Self
- The Lighthouse by Alison Moore
- Swimming Home by Deborah Levy
- The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng