The Readings ebook store is provided by the Booki.sh platform.
Booki.sh is a new service, and this policy is likely to be updated frequently as it grows. All changes to the policy will be documented on our blog, and significant changes will be announced in advance of them coming into effect, so that users have time to respond to them before they're implemented.
Booki.sh is a service of OverDrive, Inc. Where we mention Booki.sh, we also mean OverDrive by extension.
Data Collection and Usage
Booki.sh collects, stores and aggregates information about users of the service, including:
- IP address
- Device (iPhone, laptop, etc)
- Web browser (Safari, Firefox, etc)
- Date and time of access and/or purchase
- Referral information – for example, the site you came from
- Relationships between users
- Account information (email address, credit card issuer, billing address details)
This information will be used in these ways:
- To help us improve the quality of the service; and
- to monitor Booki.sh for terms and conditions violations and prevent fraud; and
- to give publishers and retailers a better understanding of the ways in which people are buying and reading ebooks
We maintain your privacy in the following ways:
- Retailers can view transactions in real time, but these transactions contain no identifying data other than the time of the transaction.
- Publishers can view transactions in real time, but these transactions contain no identifying data other than the time of the transaction and the originating retailer.
- Personal and/or identifying information, such as your location, time of of access or purchase, the contents of your library, the relationships you have with other users of the service (such as those whom you give or lend books to) or information about the device you're using to access Booki.sh will never be shared with retailers or publishers except in aggregate, thus maintaining your anonymity.
- We will only make public aggregated data on sample sizes of over 1000 users.
At some point soon, you'll be able to opt in to two types of email marketing:
- automated, targeted campaigns (where the system matches your purchasing patterns with new releases or sale items and automatically sends you an email update notifying you of their availability)
- general email marketing, where you allow your email address to be shared with the retailer or retailers of your choice, in order that they can keep you up to date on events and news that may be unrelated to ebooks
Automated campaigns are sent no more frequently than once per week (unless you've requested alerts about the availability of specific titles), and your personal information – name, email address, location – is not shared with retailers or publishers.
General email marketing campaigns are sent from outside Booki.sh, and may include information about new release printed books, in-store sales, events and so forth. You will be able to select which stores you'd like to receive email from, and only these stores will have access to your details – but they will be able to see your email address.
You can opt out of all email marketing at any time, and we encourage you to report instances of misuse to us, to that we can continue to remind retailers of their obligations to you.
A cookie is a small amount of information sent to and stored in your web browser by a website or web application (like Booki.sh). Cookies used in Booki.sh include an anonymous unique identifier that allows our website to recognise you and give you access to your library, or let you purchase books. You need to accept cookies from Booki.sh in order to use the service.
Booki.sh may disclose identifying information in special circumstances, such as to comply with legally enforceable requests (injunctions or subpoenas), or when your actions violate our Terms of Service.